Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Review: More Than Words by Daphne Abbott

Title: More Than Words
Series: Eagle Creek
Author: Daphne Abbott
Read copy: eBook (Kindle)
Published: May 21, 2021
Publisher: Daphne Abbott
ASIN: B08VNDPTC8

A small town outcast...

My status as the daughter of Eagle Creek’s most notorious resident hasn’t made my life easy. I do my best to keep my head down, and my younger sisters and eighty-six-year-old best friend are the only things I care about in this place. My life might be small and boring, but until Grayson Archer walked into my store, I was content. Grayson is a stranger in our small town, and way out of my league. Still, something about Gray draws me in and I can’t keep my eyes or mind off him.

Will meet her match...

Though I came to this tiny Wisconsin town to help a friend’s failing business, it’s now been over a year since I arrived. I try to tell myself otherwise, but Ruby McLean with her sharp tongue and dangerous curves is the real reason I can’t force myself to go. When she struggles to cope with her family’s troubles, I step in to help. More than anything, I’m determined to get out of the friend-zone she’s put me in and make her mine. I just need to convince her that everything I say means more than words.


My rating:

***ARC provided by author/publisher through BookSirens***

This started as a cute, sweet, opposites attract, small-town romance. Ruby and Gray were likeable characters, their slow-burn romance was a pleasure to read, their ever-expanding circle of friends and family provided a nice background...

Unfortunately, the story meandered into suspense territory in the second half and lost the spark. I have nothing against suspense, it just didn't fit with the overall story and read more like it was put in to create conflict and possibly serve as some sort of catalyst. It felt incongruous and, IMHO, the story could and would've worked better as a straight-up romance.



0 comments:

Post a Comment